Friday, January 14, 2005

The other woman

I took a mental health day today, and didn't go into the office. I hardly ever do that, but man, it felt good today. Hubby was leaving for PEI for an overnight with the band.

He took me to meet his other woman today. I finally got to meet the one he's been visiting, stroking and singing softly to for the last three weeks. Yes, I met the new Gibson guitar he's been coveting. This was his Christmas present from me - a down payment toward a new guitar of his choice. So today we went to pick it up from the store.

Then we went to our favourite little pasta place and had a leisurely lunch. And we talked. And laughed. And relaxed. And had fun. He always says we could have fun in a ditch together, and days like this remind me of that truth.

Have I mentioned lately how very much I love this man? I know that he wants a baby more than anything, and that if this turns out to not be a viable pregnancy, he will be devastated. And yet, he takes every chance he can to reassure me that he's there for me ... that "what will be will be" ... and he puts my fears and feelings of failure to rest.

I know a lot of men who would let their female partner walk this road alone, or perhaps not share the walk. The longer I continue on this hateful journey of infertility, the more I am coming to admire those men who journey right alongside their female partners. Those who are not afraid to dream, to hate that bitch hope along with us, to be strong for and with us, and to cry with us when our dreams are not realized.

So next time I post that I'm selling him cheap at a yard sale, or going to put him up on Ebay, remind me of this post, this day, and who has been right at my side through all the crud, will ya? Thanks.


1 comment:

Julianna said...

I've been thinking about you today. I'm glad you had a nice day.

Take care.