Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The dictionary says

mis·car·riage (n.)
The premature expulsion of a nonviable fetus from the uterus. Also called spontaneous abortion.

I've been thinking about this word a lot over the last two days, and wondering how you can explain exactly how a miscarriage feels.

Ripping.
Painful.
Empty.
Draining.
Cruel.
Heartbreaking.
Helpless.
Hopeless.

I've learned a lot since we lost Brodie in 2002, and have both lurked and actively participated on a number of loss message boards. I've always had a sense that there are degrees of loss, never publicly acknowledged, but tacitly condoned among posters on these boards. A protocol, so to speak. No one ever comes right out and says it, but there always seemed to be a stronger response to those women who had losses later in their pregnancy. Almost as if those pregnancies were more real or something.

And I must admit that, because my loss with Brodie was at 20 weeks, I could relate to that. My loss was very real to me. He was a baby. My baby. I had seen him wave to me on the ultrasound. Had heard his heartbeat at least four times. I had his picture. And I had felt him move inside of me. So yes, he was real to me. As real as if I had held him in my arms.

But today I sat beside a 7 month pregnant colleague, and I was still bleeding from this miscarriage. I suddenly truly understood that a loss at any time during a pregnancy carries with it the same feelings. I felt incredible remorse for any time I may have minimized someone else's loss in my head, even unconsciously. And I asked for forgiveness. I was able to truly be present to today and to my colleague, because I think I am finally, truly understanding what an incredible miracle a full term healthy pregnancy is, and I am grateful that she is experiencing one.

And I am reminded that the other type of miscarriage is one of justice. Someday we will experience justice - it just might not look like what we want it to look like.




7 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so sorry, Sandy. You and your little ones are in my prayers.

Lala said...

My heart hurts all over again for you.

The Walker Tribe said...

Sandy,

My wife and I have you in our thoughts and prayers.

David

Tiff said...

Oh Sweetie, I am sorry that you are going through this again. The words you use to describe it are pretty accurate unfortunately. *Thinking about you*

Donna said...

What a wise and honorable woman you are to ask for forgiveness and believe in miracles, all stemming from an incredibly difficult and painful situation. My hat is off to you.

Julianna said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am still thinking about you SOOOOO much. I hope you are doing okay.

DeadBug said...

What a beautiful post. And I'm so, so sorry for your losses.

--Bugs