Saturday, October 30, 2004

Be the change ...

I've been away all week, participating in an executive leadership program. This was the second module in a six month experience. Jim Clemmer, an author who focuses on leadership development, gave this workshop. Much of it was the usual management vs leadership stuff, but the second day asked us to focus on ourselves. You can't give what you don't have .... be the change you want to see in the world kind of stuff.

We started out with a visualization exercise that put us in a hot air balloon, lifting us off the ground and time travelling to any point in the future that we wanted. For some reason my mind went to the year 2020 ... 16 years from now.

It was amazing! Even in the midst of all this infertility crap, and sometimes feeling like such a failure because I can't seem to produce what some other women bring forth so easily ... I felt so energized, focused, centered and affirmed after this visualization exercise.

I saw hubby and I living in a slightly bigger, cape cod home, not far from where we are living now ... just more water frontage and trees. I saw Frodo and Mini-Me at their ages of 25 and 23 ... happy, settled and healthy. I also saw another boy ... apparently our son. He was in his teens although I couldn't place an exact age. And he was healthy, happy, loved and enjoying life to the fullest!

Hubby and I were still the best of friends. Things were not drastically different ... we weren't rich; we were still involved in our community; we were still in love. Oh ... I was skinnier and apparently magically had begun to enjoy working out.

I have not been able to let go of that experience. It was wonderful.

Be the change you want to see in the world. I guess I need to start taking the steps to be that change, if even in my own attitude and way of looking at life.

No comments: