Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Another leg on the journey

So the doctor's appointment yesterday went well. I should clarify that the doctor that I referred to yesterday with the horrible bedside manner is not my general practitioner doctor, whom I had the appointment with yesterday.
She was pleased that we have finally decided to accept her suggestion of a referral to the fertility clinic, and took no time at all in filling it out. She also offered to go through my medical file and pull together all results from my previous involvement at the clinic. She thinks that this might save some steps and time when we do get our appointment.....important given, in her words, my "advanced maternal age". Hmmm.....hadn't thought about myself as suffering from "advanced maternal age syndrome" in quite a while. That was the label on my file two years when I discovered my pregnancy. I guess I'm even more advanced now. I always was an overachiever!
Hubby was pleased that I had made the request. He's not sure how far he wants to take it, but as he said, one step at a time. Let's see how he feels when he has to wake me up with a basal therometer instead of a kiss and a cup of coffee. Wait....let's see how I feel about that!!! I prefer the coffee and kiss routine I think!
So we're off on another leg of this journey through the wonderful land of infertility. I'm not sure how I'm feeling. I remember how obsessed I got with it all when I was at the clinic before, and I've been working so hard not to obsess of late. Even though I have been, it's been quietly, by myself and in this blog. This will bring the obsession into daily routine and conversation. It has lots of ups, but I also am so afraid to get my hopes up again.
On a brighter note, I just ran into a coworker and friend whose wife has suffered two miscarriages in the last eighteen months. Both times they were devastated, and although I've never met her, I had sent a card and loaned them a book that we had found helpful during our loss. He shared with me this morning that she is due in April 2005, is suffering through major bouts of morning sickness, and loving every single minute of it. It's nice to hear some good news, especially when it's from people that I know can appreciate the miracle of what they are now experiencing. I'm praying for them. Like I told him, there's a belief that the sicker the stickier. Let's hope that's true for them.

1 comment:

Julianna said...

Ohhhh Sandy, I am so happy you are going forward.

I know it is scary. Hang on and move forward.

I am so happy for you.