Friday, May 06, 2005

Touched

I don't know why the Mother's Day thing is so hard for so many of us ~ it is just another day, right? But I have found that since we started on this journey, it's not just another day. As many other bloggers have been discussing, it's a Hallmark day that just seems to further throw it in our faces that we are not mothers. Sure, I'm technically a parent. I have all the responsibilities but not too many of the perks yet.

They're coming though. We're having supper tonight when Frodo casually comments on how he had to make TWO mother's day cards this year. No one said anything, although I could feel my breathing stop. He went on to say 'yeah TWO cards! One for my mom, and one for you, Sandy. I mean you're practically kind of like my mother".

Even if I never see that card (he left it at his mom's), my heart is forever touched.

And for the first time since we started on this road, I took a stand about what I want to have happen on Sunday. Instead of going up to my parents' place where I cook and clean while all the official mothers sit and be served, I have asked my father to bring my mother into town. We've made reservations at a favourite little italian place, and I will sit and be served.

And if they're giving out flowers to the mothers, I'm taking one. So there.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, Sandy. I feel like crying right now. Not looking forward to tomorrow AT ALL!

Sue said...

Yup....dreading tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words on my blog about my dog. It's been tough. Every time I pass the place he started spending most of his time, I want to turn the clock back to Thursday and make a different decision.

Although the one I made was the best for him. Just not for me.

I suffer from infertility, too. PCOS has wreaked havoc on my ovaries and such. I went through almost 3 years of infertility treatments when I was married and I'm about to step back into the ring with my fiance when we get married in Sept. I'll be blogging about it as I go. Please stop by and say hi now and again.

Anonymous said...

Sandy, I just stumbled upon your blog in the middle of my own hurt. The "would-have-been" birthday of my baby came in the middle of my "family vacation" with my husband and 2 stepchildren. Is it normal to sometimes feel like the stepchildren are a kind of salt in the wound of the hurt of infertility?