Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Scant Content

I was reading about content struggles on Lala's blog, and it got me thinking about my blog. I look at the tag line of my blog and it describes some of the reasons that I began to blog.

  • I am infertile and trying to conceive.
  • I am a stepmother, struggling with my role in this blended family.
  • I am a woman, struggling with my weight.

I wanted a place to write about the happenings in these areas of my life, although sometimes I think there's not much to talk about there. I can only bitch about my cycle, lack of ovulation and inability to carry to term so often. I could keep a running commentary on my food intake and scale movement (or lack thereof) I guess but I think even I would fall asleep typing it! And things have seemed to settle down with the blending thing so no juice there either.

There is much more to my life, obviously, as I'm sure there is with all the other bloggers that I read regularly. One of my main activities and obsessions is my career. I feel totally unsafe to blog about it, though, as I've read far too many articles about people being fired for blogging about their job.

Makes for scant content though at times, and explains why sometimes there are days between posts. That's not to say there's not major stuff going on in my life ... just nothing I can blog about! I'd love to go on a good rant about career here sometime but it just doesn't feel appropriate.

I am in major decision making mode right now though. I've written a few times about needing to make the decision around continuing on medication assisted cycles or not. Part of the reason that I need to make that decision sooner than later is work related. I am in a position where I will be progressing at my place of employment over the next while. I have received some incredible support from a very senior person at work, and our workforce, like so many others nowadays, is aging quickly. (Speaking of aging quickly, I just caught site of Keith_Richards of the Rolling Stones on tv....oh my gawd!!!!)

Sorry...digressed there for a moment.

In order to progress to a more senior position, though, I need to complete a Masters program. I'm in the midst of applying for it right now, and if accepted, would start either in September 2005 or January 2006. I think I'm leaning toward the 2006 start date. If I complete the program, then the career possibilities that could be opened up are major ... and very time consuming.

HB and I were talking about this tonight. By the way, he's off knob status and back to dreamboat. I was discussing the decision point around the Masters program and my need to consider what was going on with our family - blended or otherwise- as part of that decision. He said exactly the right thing. He said it would not be his decision. That it would be my decision, and his job would be to support me with whatever decision I made.

So I guess I'm not going to get out of it by using him as a scapegoat. Damn.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Sometimes they do say exactly the right thing, don't they? Good luck in your decision - it's tough to be a such a crossroads. As for sporadic blogging...you have no responsibility to us. Blog when you feel like you need to/want to. We'll be here!

Anonymous said...

It's a tough call all around.

When I ended the fertility treatments after 2 1/2 years and the final 2 unsuccessful injection treatments, I vowed never to go through that again. Between the emotions, the drugs, and the depression, I wanted no part of it.

And here I am, 7 years later, about to get married again ... and about to start all over.

It was a tough choice, but only one I could make.

Same as yours.

Choose the route that you feel will make you more content. If everything comes to a screeching halt because you do get pregnant ... of if you give up trying for a baby for a career ... which way is not so hard to live with?

Anonymous said...

Sandy, by any chance have you been diagnosed with PCOS? That was my diagnosis and I found that Clomid did absolutely nothing for me but treating insulin resistance with Glucophage and Avandia got me my daughter. I got pregnant at 39 and delivered at 40, and scarily enough my cycles have gotten great since the pregnancy to the point where I NEED contraception. Email me if you want any more information about this treatment.

I just found your blog today and think it's really good!

Celeste
celeste_lippATyahoo.com

Donna said...

I've made decisions on so many things in the last 5 years based on the chance that at some point I would get pregnant. Now, of course, in hindsight, I wish I had done some things different, seeing there's no baby in sight. But, all you can do is make the right decision for you at the time you make it. Then give yourself the right to change your mind.