Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Preaching from Pulpits...literally

I've been thinking a lot about Catholicism of late. Discussions on some of my favourite blogs have spurred my thoughts along, but also the recent flurry of church and state activity around same sex marriages here in my own country. Government has introduced a bill to legalize same sex marriages on a civil basis, and the local Archbishop here is encouraging a very strong stand against this bill. There have been letters read from the pulpit, petitions, much space in the bulletin, and then this past weekend, a full page ad in the paper.

I respect the right for people to hold opinions on this matter. What I do resent, though, is being held a captive in the church and being required to listen to an opinion from the pulpit. I don't mind having the opportunity to discuss it, but don't stand at the front of the church and preach to me without giving me a chance to respond.

I have been attending the same parish for almost 15 years. I play the guitar in the choir there, and have made many awesome friends over the years. This is a parish that is made up primarily of young families - people my age (yes, that's young dammit!) - and so attitudes are a bit more forward thinking there. This parish community shows people that it is possible to practice your faith, be a moral person, and not agree with every backward teaching of "the church". That's what I love about it. One of my dearest friends there, who is a big part of the parish community, happens to be a gay man. Several of us have walked out of that parish with him in years past when letters were being read from the pulpit around this issue.

I was so proud of this parish community and our parish priest this weekend. The letter had been sent out to parishes by the Archbishop, and I would imagine that parish priests were encouraged to read it aloud from the pulpit. They did in the parish my husband goes to. But they didn't at the parish I go to. And I was once again proud to be a part of that particular parish community. The letter was placed by the exit doors, and mentioned during announcements as being available...and that was it. End of air time. No captive audiences had opinions shoved down their throat.

I wish that we could be like that more often with each other.



3 comments:

DeadBug said...

What a difficult position to be in. I'm glad your parish isn't participating as fully as some.

--Bugs

The Walker Tribe said...

Good post. Glad to hear that your congregation stepped up and made a decision like that. Some of the strong stances and inability to be inclusive has somewhat steered me away from the catholic church. I am now visiting a church where opinions are a little more mainstream...something that some catholic churches are struggling with.

I did visit a catholic church in Idaho recently with a family member whereas the young priest in trying to preach acceptance and inclusion versus telling people how they must think.

Good post Sandy.

David

Julianna said...

I love you Sandy.