Thursday, October 05, 2006

Back from Bowston

We had a great time in Boston. HB and I were attending a conference together, which is a rarity, and got to stay in an awesome hotel which was close to some great shops which although I'd never buy from, I had a whale of a time touching stuff in. I touched purses that went for $600, shoes that were $800, jackets that were $2500 ... you get the picture.

We walked and walked and walked. I had my first trip on a subway. In short, we had a great time. The only downside was a teensy bit of spotting on Wednesday after we finished all our walking around - HB figures we clocked about 15 miles yesterday.

So onto the doctor's appointment today. I was straight up with her about all my fears due to symptoms coming and going. She's so cool. Basically she said what all of you have said. Each pregnancy is different. Many people have no symptoms at all. She then went on to tell me that she was willing to send me for another ultrasound if I wanted, and that she would listen with the doppler today but only if I understood that there was a good chance we still might not hear a heartbeat today - and that not hearing a heartbeat today meant nothing at all since I'm just 11 weeks.

We did listen with the doppler. There was a lot of noise, and twice she thought she heard something but couldn't get enough behind my pelvic bone to get to it fully. HB also thought he heard something at both those times.

She told me that walking all the distance could tilt my cervix slightly, causing a little spotting. She then told me to go home, get off my feet and nap.

We've decided to go for the nuchal fold and maternal serum testing, along with the early ultrasound. We're going to wait until the 19th for the ultrasound, but she has told me that I can call her at any time if I want more. She said I'm in for a lot of ultrasounds anyhow during this pregnancy. I've gained 4 lbs so not bad - especially after a week of eating magnificent meals and desserts!

So basically, everything is fine. I'm tired after the trip and we're headed into a busy Thanksgiving weekend. I have a truckload of studying to get caught up on, and the kids are coming over tomorrow. The great part is that HB is all about me lying down whenever I want to, and I got enough lectures today from both Dr. H and HB to realize that saying I need to lay down does not equal being lazy right now.

I could get used to that.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You should definetly not feel lazy about taking it easy. Right now nothing is more important than the health of you and your baby. Glad everything is coming along well.

Krista said...

So glad to hear that you had a great trip and everything is ok with you and babe. Sandy, take it easy whenever you need to, you've earned it and no one should give you grief.

Anonymous said...

This is encouraging news! Now if I can just have the patience to last til the 19th lol

A co-worker of mine had spotting and cramping for a couple of weeks around the same time in her pg as you. So it's not unusual. And they've had a hard time finding the heartbeat at every ultrasound, too, because the baby is never in the same spot as it was before. As she said "It likes to hide" hah

Thalia said...

Good to hear that you're confident all is well. Another milestone over!