Friday, September 08, 2006

A scare

How does that John Prine song go?
"woke up this morning....put on my slippers....went to the kitchen and bled...."

No wait, that's the infertile miscarrier song. I get them mixed up all the time.

Anyhow, I'm fine now but we had quite a scare today. I started to bleed bright red at about 11:50 a.m. It held out long enough to get me through this job interview I had this morning, thankfully, but immediately afterward out it came. Went right through my jeans.

I drove myself to emergency, calling my doctor's office on the way. She was out of the office but being as awesome as she is, got the message and called me back on my cell within five minutes. She told me that my hcg levels from yesterday were wonderful, but to reassure myself I should continue on to emergency where she would request additional quantitative levels, an ultrasound and an internal.

I was home by supper time. For all the complaining there is about the emergency clinic around here, they have sure been great to me.

It was ironic, however, that as I sat waiting to be seen by triage, a very pregnant young woman came up, butted in front of me to see how much longer she was going to have to wait to be seen for the dizzy spell she was having. She stood there in front of me, rubbing her belly the entire time. I was biting my tongue and praying for HB to walk in before I lost it.

Anyhow...results.
HCG test 1 - 2800 (August 30)
HCG test 2 - 17,000 (Sept 7 - 8 days)
HCG test 3 - 19,000 (Sept 8 - 1 day)
Internal - cervix closed; presence of a clot of blood but not coming from inside the cervix.
Ultrasound - gestational sac present; no fetal pole but the radiologist and my doctor both warned us before the ultrasound that this is normal for this stage.

The only concern the radiologist voiced was that the sac is not centered in the uterus. It is up higher than he would have liked to have seen it.

The bleeding had subsided by about 3 p.m. and I was home by 5:30, with orders from the doctor to "take it easy" for a while.

We told Frodo and Mini Me last night. They are delighted and have stated their preference for a sister. I love that they refer to the baby as their 'sister'.

The down side of today? HB had to tell Knothead because he had to get her to take the kids for a few hours to come meet me at emergency. She just called her and in her way of being able to make anything be about herself said "How are you feeling? Good. Congratulations by the way. Don't worry about it. I bled in my sixth week. I actually I bled continuously from week 6 to 12."

This is exactly what she said to me when we lost Brodie. Oh no wait...how she actually said it at that time was "Don't think I'm not sorry about the baby, because I am. I bled during my pregnancy too so I know what you're going through".

Then she gave me a pot of mums. That died.

I had forgotten about that until tonight.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just recently found your blog and I am enjoying it. I will pray for you and the little one inside of you. Try to keep your hopes up and we are with you out in the internet world.

Kellie said...

Scary stuff. Glad everything appears to be fine - your beta levels are great.

Put your feet up and enjoy the weekend - you've earned it.

Cricket said...

That John Prine. I hope *he* changes tunes. Glad your bloodwork came back so solidly.

Krista said...

Oh Sandy, so so scary. I wish this would go so much more smoothly for you. Perhaps you should really take it easy for the next little while. Not that it will make a bit of difference but it might help you to feel "safer"

I am hoping and praying and can't wait for you to get throught this very scary stage.

Thalia said...

I hope that this is the last scare you have for the next 34 weeks or so. When is your next scan?

Vanda said...

I'm sending you some really, really good thoughts from across the pond. It can't hurt right?

Anonymous said...

Gah. I can't stand the scares. They're just too much. Salt on the wound, and whatnot.

I'm thinking of you, and always loooking for mundane, boring updates.

Mel said...

What a scare! Hope you are doing ok today!

Anonymous said...

Mums. That died. I love that you're keeping your sense of humor to help you get through these scary parts. Thinking of you from the land of the rednecks. ;-)

x said...

I hope there are no more scares. I can't wait to tell my SK's but I could care less what there boohag (our name for her) mother thinks about the whole thing. Considering she talked my hubbie into a vasectomy at 30yrs old, total shock is all I can imagine.

Anonymous said...

Today is Sept. 12 and I have been thinking about you.
Please blog and tell us how you are doing!!