Thursday, September 07, 2006

Nervously public

This morning I went to see Dr. H for my first prenatal visit.

Prenatal. Me! (snort!!!!)

It went well. I had been keeping a list of things I wanted to discuss with her, some of which are courtesy of comments here - like Laura's observation about progesterone - and others which were just related to things that had been going on with me, like the brown spotting. It's not even fair to call it spotting. It was more like brown splat on the toilet paper. One splat and it was done.

Anyhow, as I was getting ready this morning I could hear HB up here cackling like a mad scientist. I asked him what he was going through, and he told me that I'd have to experience it to appreciate it. I get to the doctor's office, pull out my carefully printed and bulleted list to go over it before seeing her, and at the bottom of the list, in HB's print, complete with a bullet and a happy face, I read:

"Is excessive farting normal?"

I was on the floor! What a guy I married. I simply slid the note over to Dr. H (who loves HB by the way), and after she stopped crying, she told me she'd be leaving him a voice mail message to explain why he'd better get used to it.

After an opening like that for your first prenatal visit, where do you go from there?

She is delighted with all my blood work, my blood pressure, the fact that I've been smoke and booze free for a few years now, and agrees with HB that no stress is the order of the day. Although she is my family doctor, she is also an ObGyn. She has referred me to the high risk clinic but has also said that I will be a "shared care" patient with her. What that means basically is twice the attention, which also means twice the appointments, but hey...that's cool.

I went for a truckload more bloodwork and urine analysis this morning as well, and then over to the maternity hospital to pick up a nutrition guide she wanted me to have.

Then I went to work. Where the word is definitely out. And I spent the day receiving congratulations from everyone.

We plan to tell Frodo and Mini-Me this weekend.

Oh God .... I hope we didn't make a mistake in allowing this to become so public. But...to quote many other bloggers....NBHHY and there are no signs that SBIGTH (something bad is going to happen). It's just that I'm still so freaking early in this pregnancy. It could be over tomorrow. Everything that I'm reading (yes, I broke down and allowed HB to buy me a copy of what to expect when you're expecting) says that the minute you know you are pregnant, start acting like you are pregnant. Rest when you need to ... be happy and stress free ... eat healthily ... don't lift ... etc. All the things that HB is encouraging me to do. Yet, it's so early. And I don't 'feel' pregnant. And it could all disappear tomorrow.

Chant with me, will you?

8 comments:

Kellie said...

...so is it normal? LOL

Congrats Sandy - I'm so happy for you. I don't think you made a mistake telling people as long as you both were confortable doing it.

After my son was stillborn I swore that if I ever got pregnant again I wouldn't tell anyone until the baby was a toddler...if then.

Years later, I now think differntly - *if* anything were to go wrong I'd regret having to go through it alone. Telling can definetly have its advantages. Most importantly, I think you should definetly enjoy and celebrate every single moment your pregnant. I'm not sure you can do that when your keeping it to yourself.

Best wishes.

Krista said...

You are pregnant
You are pregnant
You are pregnant

Sandy I know how difficult it is to resolve the whole tell or not tell thing. We told everyone of our pregnancy as soon as the peestick showed two lines and then when I miscarried I really wish I hadn't. Now though, I think, would I really want to go through that without talking to anyone. I think what would happen is I wouldn't tell anyone and then if I miscarried I would end up telling them that I was pregnant and losing it. They might as well enjoy the news with me.

And I think your husband is freakin hilarious.

Also, I wonder if you go to the same doctor I use to when I lived there. She also was a family doctor and an ob/gyn. Did she used to be in a clinic on Quinpool Rd and then move to teaching clinic office in the hospital? Although perhaps you are seeing someone in Dartmouth, the woman I am talking about is in Halifax.

Sandy said...

One Mother: it is normal...hehe. Thank goodness!

Krista: The doctor I see is in Dartmouth. I've been going to her for 21 years now....yikes! She's always been in Dartmouth. And yes, my husband is in fact hilarious. I keep forgetting that you lived here!

TeamWinks said...

Both me and my husband laughed at this post! Loved it!

Donna said...

I don't want to rain on this parade, this is a good news post! But...I wouldn't recommend reading that particular book. A lot of infertiles I know that have started reading it have ended up throwing it in the garbage and/or up against the side of their house before burning it. Ahem. There are a lot of other (better) books out there. Just food for thought.

Anonymous said...

You are having a baby!!!!
What to expect is a great book.
I read it all the time, then What to expect the first year, then What to expect for the toddler year.
I loved these books and they were most accurate and helpful to me.
We readers are all here for you Sandy.
With all this positive input and prayers, things will be fine.
Think peaceful and loving thoughts.
I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say yay for normal! And to borrow from Akeeu: (please stay).

Shinny said...

So happy for you! Just take care of yourself and listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs and sometimes it really does need that one special ice cream flavor at midnight. ;)

Know that you have the world at your fingertips for advice/assvice whichever the case may be. Plus it sounds like you have a fantastic doctor who is just as excited as you are about this little "development".

Wishing you all the best and I will try not to jinx you.