Saturday, November 13, 2004

Soft sounds of first snow

The first snow of the year is here. I'm upstairs, playing on the computer. I can hear hubby and the boys beating each other up playing hockey in the basement, and the dawgs are wrestling each other in the living room. Every once in a while one of us goes to the window to see how much snow is actually staying on the ground.
These are the sounds of family life.
Even though I get frustrated with this step mess, and think that I am a step monster mother at times, I do know how blessed I am to have these two awesome creatures as part of my daily life.
This morning was a case in point. Hubby had taken Frodo to hockey at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m., while Mini Me and I slept soundly in our beds . At about 6:30 a.m., I heard this knock at my door. It was Mini Me, wondering where everyone was. He jumped under the covers and snuggled with me for a while... we talked about the hockey game he had gone to with his dad and brother the night before ... and then we went downstairs, shivering under a blanket together, eating toast and watching some horrible cartoons on television. Laughing. Chatting at times. Not talking at all at others.
These are the sounds of family life.
And so as I sit here, listening to the noise of kids and their father playing in the basement and snow softly falling outside, I close my eyes and inhale. And realize yes, I am indeed blessed.

1 comment:

Lala said...

That was really, really nice. The step mom in me longs for a moment like that.