Saturday, May 20, 2006

In Memory of Barkley

It's been a tough day. Full of firsts. The first morning not worrying about whether I'm up early enough to give Barkley his medication, or asking HB "how did the dawg do last night?". The first time we went shopping for dawg treats and spent less than twenty bucks. The first time I only had to fill one bowl for supper. No need to sit in the basement chair holding the bowl because there was no big dawg eating from my lap ... no sharing of pats while he ate his supper.

HB has been having a hard time. Barkley was his first dawg, and they adored each other. Because Frodo and Mini-Me were here last night, and because Frodo threw a drama fit, HB didn't really get a chance to say goodbye to Barkley.

He's really feeling it today, and I can't figure out how to help him. I did show him some video that I had taken of Barkley over the last weeks. And then we went and got two films developed. Here is some of what we found on that film. This post is in memory of our sweet, goofy Barkley. God speed big man.





12 comments:

Sue said...

God speed, Barkley.

Anonymous said...

Loving and peaceful thoughts to you and your husband.

Cricket said...

I have tears spilling for you. I'm so sorry for your loss. Expected doesn't translate into easier.

Is Barkley for the big man Charles?

Anonymous said...

I hope you slapped Frodo upside the head......Beautiful photos, lovely Barkley. Hope you put one on the wall.

Krista said...

What a bittersweet post. Beautiful photo's. I know time heals all wounds but this one will be intense for a while.

Takre care

Sandy said...

Cricket: I'd love to say I was all classy and everything to have named him after someone important, but the truth? I held a naming contest among my team at work when I adopted him from the SPCA. He's named after the character on Sesame Street!

Lala: I couldn't deal with Frodo at all at the time unfortunately. I was so consumed with making sure Barkley was comfortable that HB had to deal with him. That was a bit of a mixed blessing that I will post about sometime soon - since HB has not always seen the self absorbed side of his child that I have seen.

Thanks everyone. As Krista said, time does heal all wounds, and being able to post and write about him and our experience is helping me immensely.

Tiff said...

I can't tell you how sorry I am. There are no words.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dog Cody last August and the pain is still so new. Losing a friend is just so difficult. So sorry.

x said...

So beautiful. There is a reason dog is god spelled backwards, they are a little slice of heaven for us. God bless sweet Barkely.

Donna said...

I love that picture of you and Barkley! He'll always be in your heart, and ours.

Anonymous said...

The previous post had me in tears. I had to step away for a bit to be able to read this one. I'm smiling a bit now, that dog loved you so much Sandy, there is no doubt in my mind that he led a rich full and happy life with you around. Love you to pieces myself.

Sue said...

Hi, Sandy. Just checking in on you.