Saturday, October 08, 2005

Bob the Builder says "Yes, we can!"

It's the start of the long Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I live in a small coastal community, right on the ocean. The air is heavy with rain and fog this morning, and promises to be so for the rest of this weekend. HB and I have no commitments, obligations, activities this weekend. We are ecstatic at the thought of having a weekend to just be.
I'm not pregnant again this month. I'm in an oddly ok place with that this morning. It's like I'm disentangling myself from this journey of attempted conception one step at a time. Last month I made the decision about not taking the clomid. This month I'm thinking about hanging up the old basal temp stick. The thought doesn't bother me at all. I feel like I've been moving to a place of que sera sera for a few months now.
The other night we had the kids over for the regular mid week overnight with us. HB had, for some reason I now believe was totally fate related, forgotten about this (we won't get into the fact that these kids have been coming over every Wednesday night for the last five years) and had scheduled himself into a meeting across town.
Frodo was totally distressed upon hearing that his dad wasn't going to be around for the evening, and decided that was it - he was taking his homework with him and going to that meeting with Dad.
Which left Mini-Me sitting across the table from me .... facing the prospect of a long evening alone with the wicked stepmother. (muahahahahaha)
We had the absolute best evening. The. Absolute. Best.
We played outside with the neighbours for the first hour or so. I helped him to build a fort, carefully constructed so that it would collapse upon him at just the right time. We came inside and made the lunches for the next day together. We studied his spelling words (I passed!), and made hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. Then it was bedtime - and he crawled right inside my heart by saying "I always read to my mom at bedtime. Can I read to you???"
He read Bob the Builder (Yes We Can!!!) and Pooh's Pumpkin to me and we did all the voices together (I do a wicked Eeyore, by the way). Then it was my turn to read to him. I read Brady Brady .... as he fought sleep, tucked under his duvet.
Last night, HB told me that their mother wanted to know what I had done with Mini-Me that night because before he went to sleep the next night, he told her that he had so much fun with Sandy....and he had decided he, in his own words, "needed to spend more time with me".
I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend.
UPDATED TO ADD: To support Emily's theory that Fertility Friend is the work of the devil, I logged my temp today, after a negative Early Response test yesterday. FF immediately updates the data and shares this information with me:
Implantation Signs: Possibly Triphasic on Day 28
along with this oh-so-helpful explanation of 'triphasic':
A triphasic chart shows three levels of temperatures: pre-ovulation, post-ovulation, and then a second rise around 7-10 days after ovulation.
Some women with charts that show this pattern turn out to be pregnant. But many do not. blah blah blah stuff....If your chart shows a second significant thermal shift that begins 7-10 days past ovulation, Fertility Friend will indicate a triphasic pattern in the Pregnancy Monitor. A triphasic chart, however, is not a definite sign that you are or are not pregnant. It is just increasing your probability if you also have well-timed intercourse. Likewise, you can be pregnant and not have a triphasic pattern. Like all signs of possible implantation or pregnancy, you can really only speculate about it once a pregnancy has already been confirmed.
I have a vision of the Fertility Friend Gawds sitting there this morning saying "she's just beginning to accept the prospect of not conceiving....now waaatch as we play with her mind!"

8 comments:

Lala said...

oh g-d, they can be so achingly beautiful sometimes....Happy thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments. Xanga bites and won't let unsubs leave comments. They suck like that.

Congrats on the good time with Mini-Me (why is he called that, btw?)! It's so ultimately hard to be in a step position. It's good to hear it's working well.

Sandy said...

Hi again Angela!
When I started the blog, I decided it was fine to out myself, but I wouldn't out my husband (HB, which stands for Hockey Butt ... hehe) or the kids. I nicknamed them. They adore their dad, and so often I'd see the three of them travelling together - reminding me of how Frodo and his friends would travel together in the Lord of the Rings movies. Thus, the oldest got tagged Frodo on my blog. The youngest is sooo much like his dad it's scarey. Ever see Austin Power's Dr. Evil and Mini-Me??? I couldn't resist it!

I actually did try to get an account at xanga so I could comment, but that didn't work either!

Donna said...

Happy Thanksgiving my friend! I am desperately trying to find a place I can get a full turkey dinner with all the fixings, but I might have to settle for some pumpkin pie. I love having two days to eat pumpkin pie.

Tiff said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
That DOES sound like a lovely evening. That is so sweet.
DAMN FF!

Thalia said...

I've given up on FF. Didn't help and the women on there drive me insane.

Lovely story about you and mini-me. Doing the voices well is a highly underated skill.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving and to hell with FF!

Like you need that?!!!

Sue said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Don't you wish you could hang on to that que sera sera feeling? Life is so much more enjoyable when you take it day by day.