Thursday, April 28, 2005

Split Eyes and Temperature Charts

The wind is howling outside, and the rain pouring. My honey has gone to tae kwan do, and I'm hoping he doesn't come home with any more cuts or bruises on his handsome face. Two weeks before our wedding he arrived home with a black eye. He's 40 and insists on sparring with the 18 year olds, not understanding that yes, he might be a lean mean fighting machine but he's still slower than the kids, and has a tendency to lead with his face. He arrived home Monday night with his left eye cut open ... looking for Crazy Glue to seal it up.

And I want to have this man's children? I wonder about me sometimes!

I made the decision to get just a bit more serious about trying to conceive. After my out damn spot meltdown on the weekend, and then the conversation with HB about his lurking feelings, I realized that I need to at least make the most of these few remaining clomid assisted cycles we have. So I broke down.

And bought a basal thermometre.

And started charting.

There. My dirty little secret is out. I have been a bad infertile. I've never charted.

But I'm worried that I'm obsessing about it. The other morning I woke up at 4 a.m. and was immediately pissed off at myself because I realized I wasn't going to have had four uninterrupted hours of sleep so my temperature wouldn't be accurate. So I lay there, willing myself back to sleep and of course you know how that goes. The more you will yourself the wider awake you are. So my first temp was taken at 4:30 a.m.

Then the next morning, I was having one of those just before you wake up dreams. Was it about mad monkey loving or Tom Cruise or anything? Nah...it was about my new friend the basal thermometre. I kept putting it in my mouth but couldn't get it in the right spot so it wouldn't start beeping. I was laying in bed, poking and poking and poking, trying to find the spot. My mouth was actually getting sore in this dream!

But I woke up, found the right little nook under my tongue, and lay there, happily beeping away.

This morning, I lay in bed, thermometre in my mouth, beeping away. HB leaned over my face and showed me what a good job the Crazy Glue had done sealing his cut up. The man's a medical genius I tell you.

So now I just have to figure out how to interpret the chart and not do the 'oh shit we missed it' thing. Who wouldn't want to make a baby with a man who uses Crazy Glue to seal his cuts up????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S a real man! That's Rambo kind of stuff.

After a few days of BBT'ing, that crazy obsessive feeling will dissipate and you'll be able to get temps without worrying. I think. It's been a couple years since I touched the damn beepy thing.

Donna said...

Having just stopped temping after 3 years, I can barely remember what it was like when I first started. It will become old hat in no time. And you only need 3 hours of consecutive sleep, but that's just what the rules say. I say if it doesn't work out, skip a day or fudge it on the chart. I was pretty regular, so we just DTD starting a couple of days after AF and ended after my temp spiked. That's all you need to know.

Anonymous said...

I'm temping less and less - just around the O day and on first day of period mostly, to get baseline. It was very helpful to do it for a few months, though, to figure out what was going on. But it wouldn't have helped me without observing CM or taking OPKs - it's all of them combined that's given me the pattern I can now understand each month.

However I have no medical basis for my obsession. Dr Candour says use of OPKs is not positively correlated with pregnancy because ppl reduce the frequency of sex because they feel confident that they know when the right day is.

Good luck!