Friday, April 28, 2006

Not quite Mole-Asses

I lost an entire damn post and I was actually quite witty in it too!

Oh well. Here goes again.

As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by blogger losing my post....we've had Mini Me and Frodo with us for the past week. Knothead has gone to a math teacher's conference (I secretly think she's a dominatrix that flies all around the world meeting internets....but I digress....) somewhere in the USA and so the kids arrived here on Tuesday evening.

Along with them came the newest family member....Fluffy the Hamster.

Now when Fluffy was first purchased, she was intended to be a solo pet for Mini Me. Ever since he had heard about Big Dawg, he had been saying he wanted a pet to take care of at his mom's house. Imagine their surprise when Fluffy was joined by five babies a few days after settling into the cage in the rec room!

Yep. Even the hamster is more fertile than the evil stepmother.

However, Fluffy did something that I've only ever dreamed of doing when the boys act up.

Yep. She 'et one. I googled it and apparently it happens with hamsters. They take care of the sick that way. I have often threatened it as a behaviour modification technique myself.

So Fluffy and the Hamlets are ensconced in the computer room with me and truthfully? They freak me out.

They all crowd in together in the little wee room with a view that hangs off the side of the huge cage with all the wheely things. Every once in a while they tussle with each other, which makes my head whip up because I keep thinking Fluffy is cleaning house again. I go over to the cage, and suddenly Fluffy races to the cage to sniff and stare. Protecting her remaining babes, she stands up on those back legs and stares me down.

The Big Dawg had a reasonable check up tonight. One swollen lymph node, so the prednozone is being increased just a tad. He's losing his muscle mass which is hard to watch ... he struggles to get up off the floor at times. But other than that, he's like a pup! He's eating us out of house and home, loving his daily walks, cuddling up on the floor with me at night and just generally living the good life.

Finally, if you want to have a good chuckle, check this video out:

'>Milk<

7 comments:

Mony said...

Hee! And I really want one of those little ratbags in my life?
Wassupp Sandy!

Anonymous said...

Eeek, I'd rather see a hamster living in my home again than the wasssup stuff. Actually, maybe not. ;-) Glad to hear that Big Dawg is still loving his walks.

Tiff said...

I had no friggin' clue that hamsters did that. How crazy! Man!
Aww..glad Big Dawg is all puplike. My Calli was all kitten like on the pred. too. Thinking maybe I should score me some of that stuff.

Sandy said...

I agree Tiff. When I go, I want to go with prednozone! You can eat all you like (if you're a dog I guess) and not gain a lb! You're happy, drooly and goofy. Yep. That's how I'm gonna go. And I also agree with the no hamsters in the house either. Cannot wait for these to leave here today!

Shinny said...

If you ever have to keep the hamsters again, I have another "fun" thing to do with them. Put them where it is rather chilly and they will go into hybernation. I found that out with a pet hamster I had in 7th grade. We thought he died over Christmas vacation because I had him in my bedroom and he just curled up in a ball and wouldn't wake up when I picked him up. That is also how we found out that our house's insulation sucked. ;)

Oh, hamsters are not the only ones to eat their sick young. Dogs, cats and pigs will do it too. First hand knowledge from all three of those animals from living on the farm.

Glad Big Dawg is not in too much pain.

x said...

I set a "no rodent, no reptile" rule before I moved in with hubbie years ago. It applies to the total house - not it's occupants. My SK's would know better than to even suggest it.
That doesn't help you thought. When they do leave this earth, I would add that rule - it covers just about all "critters".

I really love Big Dawg. I think about him alot. I am glad he feels like a puppy. Sometimes I think we are more humane to animals in the end then people. We let them go gracefully as painfree as we can. Continue to enjoy every cuddle. Nothing like hugging a big dawg!

Anonymous said...

Sandy, checking in to see how you are.