Friday, April 14, 2006

Leaping in Faith

Quick update:
We're still all here and hanging in. The big dawg is continuing to have good days and good nights. This prednozone is like grass for dawgs! He's happy, puppyish and when he doesn't have the munchies, he's sleeping! When it's time for me to go, that's the way I want to do it.

We're still spending much free time hanging with both of the dawgs. Taking lots of walks, albeit shorter than what we used to, and just basically cuddling. I've undone every bit of obedience training that HB did with the big guy ... even to the point of having him up on the couch (a total, absolute, no-no in our home) the other night. To quote a country song, my give-a-damn's busted around that piece of obedience. I'm taking tons of pictures and enjoying these good days. It's been three weeks today since the diagnosis.

Landseer Newfs are a rarity around here. We've already begun talking about our desire to have another newf in our home - actually we had been talking about it before this guy got sick even. He has been the best pet! They take a bit more work in terms of grooming and watching their hips etc, but are so worth it. I'd have 10 of them if I had the room. So, we're beginning to interview breeders. I've never in my life paid for a purebred dawg. This guy came from the SPCA. Imagine. Imagine! Who in their right freaking mind would let a beauty like him go to the SPCA? Oh well. My gain.

We're off to celebrate Easter this weekend ... and I am actually singing a psalm at Good Friday service today. With an organ. And no practice. Hmmm. A leap of faith indeed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered where you have been.
I check your blog daily.
Doggie is hanging in there!

Sandy said...

ACK! Ummm Pop? KittyBB had not made an appearance here yet. Guess that's done now....hehehe

x said...

Singing! You are brave.
I totally agree on saying "screw it" to the training. I would have the him sleeping with me and eating steak off the china. I love the giant dog breeds, but the price is a real sticker shock. Nothing heals a broken heart like puppy love.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad y'all are still doing well!

And I agree ... I'd be breaking all the rules right now, too lol

Have a good holiday!

Sue said...

It's comforting to see them happy, isn't it? On a side note, are you aware of petfinder.com? It's a website that links to all of the shelters and rescue groups around the country. I'm not familiar with Newfs, but I know you can search by breed. Some rescues will even transport around the country.

Glad to see you're hanging in there. Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and Big Dawg today.