Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Beat Goes On....

Life has been moving on here at the baby-less house of dawgs. I've been in school this week - a new and exciting experience for me. I began studying in a master's program in January. It is a distance program, and each course ends with a two and a half day intensive. It's kind of cool. You spend the whole course talking to classmates and the professor on line through message boards and blogs, and then get to legitimately meet with your internet friends! I'm taking two courses each semester, and am loving it. I began the first intensive on Wednesday and will finish up the second one Monday.

It was interesting - one of the women that I had been 'chatting' with throughout the course stood up from the desk yesterday and only then did I realize that she is very pregnant - due in July. I am so truly on the road to recovery and acceptance. For the first time in a very long time, it didn't fizz me at all. In fact, I am quite happy to be hanging with her, and have been able to ask all the appropriate questions and share in the pregnancy focused discussions at lunch. God, it feels good to be able to do that without feeling like I'm faking it! A milestone for sure.

At the same time, it was fascinating to note how people still don't recognize infertility as a problem. We were having this really cool discussion in the classroom about the problem our province is going to be faced with in the near future when we run out of people to fill jobs because of our declining birthrate. They were kind of pondering why women today weren't having as many children, when I suggested that ummmm perhaps infertility was an issue, along with the usual "women are waiting longer to have children" argument. The response was "nah...not a big problem, and even if it was, what could we do about it?" Hello? How about sinking some money into subsidizing treatments? One of the women laughingly said "treatment? Just give people more booze".....I don't know why I'm still amazed at how people don't get it.

We've also reconnected with HB's uncle. He had been living in a licensed boarding home, took sick and is now living in a transitional unit of the local hospital until he can be placed in a nursing home. He's a smoker, and because it's a hospital setting, no one on staff can take him out for a smoke. We went down last weekend to take him out for lunch and then wheel him around by the water while he chain smoked. It's such a small act on our part, but meant so much to him. Now he calls every day wondering if we can come visit again. Breaks my heart. HB has gone down two more times, and in fact, is there right now. We don't have a lot of extra time in our lives, but if you don't make time for family like this, who will?

And as for Big Dawg ... he's had a bad day or two in the past week, but he's still hanging in. The days weren't bad enough to cause us to make the decision we're dreading. I just hope that we both are given the strength and wisdom we need to know when we have to make that decision. I had him in for a check up on Tuesday evening, and while waiting for the vet to see us, a couple came out who had obviously just had to put their dog to sleep. Everyone was so hushed and expressing their sympathies. The woman was crying, and I couldn't help it ... I had a little cry right along with her. This is so going to suck. Big time.

There ya go. Update from the land of drool. What's up with you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you checked in Sandy, you and Big Dawg have been on my mind.

I LOVE the idea of you taking a class and kind of funny that it has a whole chatroom factor and meeting people after...ring a bell? ;-)

I'd say I was surprised at the flippant remarks about infertility in your class but after my experiences going back to school nothing said in the classrooms shocks me much these days.

Oh...and I moved the blog. You can get to it by clicking on my name.

Donna said...

Sadly, infertility seems to be one of the last bastions of topics that its OK to make fun of, or ignore, or just be downright stupid about. The whole online learning idea has intrigued me for years, I should really look into it. You have inspired me!

Sue said...

Hi, Sandy. Infertility, inshirmility. No such thing. After all, you can just adopt or have IVF, right? Problem? What problem? As for Dawg, I promise you that when/if the time comes to make that decision, you will just know, and you will be at peace with it. And yes, when we lost Dugan, it totally sucked and still does. I was able to make arrangements to have the vet come out to my house for which I'm very glad that I did. I'm sure that you have a lot of time ahead, though, before you have to think about such things. In the meantime, give both Dawgs a hug for me. :)

x said...

Sandy, it sounds like you have a real heart of gold when it comes to family. I am sure HB's Uncle appreciate's more than you even know.

One thing I have come to believe is that people brush off infertilty as a defense mechanism. If it is our fault, and something a good night of drinking would cure, than it is not a real problem that could ever inflict them. It is so sad. People really need to wake up.

Enjoy those DAWG kisses!

Tiff said...

I just can't tell you how sorry I am that you are having to deal with this. ((HUGS))