Sunday, November 20, 2005

Star Struck - edited

My husband's band was playing their monthly gig last night at a cool little bar here in our city. At the very end of the night, one of the bartenders comes over and tells us that Chris de Burgh, who we will be seeing in concert tonight, has been sitting quietly at the back of the bar for the last two sets.
My sister-in-law, who hosts an entertainment show on one of the tv stations in the area, was with us and wandered back to see him. HB and I, on the other hand, stood by our gear, giggling like fools. HB wouldn't go back, saying that the man deserved to be able to have a quiet beer without interruption. My sister in law wasn't convinced that it was indeed him ... but it sure looked like him, and I remember seeing a guy with a small entourage of guys who look like roadies, come in earlier. I didn't think too much of it as there was also a movie being shot around the corner that night, and I figured it was the crew coming in for a beer and to warm up.
Canadians. We're so frigging polite and considerate! So, if indeed it was him, we missed our chance to be star struck in person!
Edited to add: It was indeed him! We went to the concert last night (which, by the way, was beyond amazing!) and he came out into the audience on a walk about. I saw him and one of the crew together, and realized they were indeed the same folks that were in the bar the night before. We must have been their second stop, as he referenced another bar when talking during the show. How cool is that? HB's band didn't drive Chris de Burgh out of the bar with their music! Actually, when we heard the cover stuff he did in his extended encore last night (we were the last concert of an 18 month tour, so we got some extra goodies I think), we realized that he would have greatly enjoyed the music the guys play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Or ... it would have been really awesome if it was him and you guys got to talk to him. I can't say I've - as an adult - ran into any celebrities. As a kid, I met a number of performers because they use to play the place my mom worked. But at 8 years old, the biggest star to me was Willie Ames ... although he wasn't even close to the biggest star to have played.