Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Eight Years Ago Today

Eight years ago today, my brother committed suicide. I cannot believe that much time has passed. I am now almost two years older than he was when he forever froze himself at age 42. Sometimes on this day, I feel tremendous sorrow, but today was a day filled with counting my blessings and remembering the good times I had with my brother.

I do feel sorrow at what he has missed though. He would have loved HB...and I hate that he never had the chance to see me truly happy. He also would have loved that his wife finally left the job that caused them so much anguish....and to see how cool his now 16 year old daughter has turned out. He would have been so proud to know that his oldest daughter is in love with an incredible man, and that they have made a beautiful life together. He would have adored Big Dawg, and would be equally in love with the Banana Girl we have now. I miss him, and can't even begin to fathom what it has to be like to be in a place that is so desperate, ending your life is the only viable option.

Hug your family today. Just do it. Love them and keep them close. Savour every moment of your time with them, and if you have petty disagreements, forget them. Move on and get over it. Life is far too short. Join me in counting blessings.

9 comments:

Krista said...

Wow Sandy what a great perspective gained from such a tragic event. A lovely memorial to your brother. I agree, life is far too short, thanks for reminding me to appreciate all that I have.

Michelle said...

Oh, that is so sad. I'm so sorry. I lost my Mom ten years ago, and I miss her everyday. My Dad called me today at work and I was "too busy" to call him back. Geez, how quickly we forget to be grateful for those we have in our lives. Thanks for the reminder. Gotta go....I have a phone call to make.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me to appreciate what I have. Sometimes I forget,

Jen-Again

Anonymous said...

We really do tend to take family for granted. Thank you for the perspective. I'm so sorry for the reason for that perspective.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry - I can't even imagine.

I'm glad to see you're able to enjoy his memory.

Anonymous said...

Sandy, that was a lovely tribute to your brother. I think everyone who read it is going to pay the love forward today.

x said...

I am so sorry that you lost your brother and that he missed out on sharing the joy within your family.

Mel said...

Thank you for sharing your story and your feelings. My heart goes out to you and your family on this difficult day.

Runergirl said...

This post really hit home with me, so much so that it has taken a long time for me to respond to it. My brother had a lot of years of drug use and stupidity; we didn't think he would live to see 21. He put us through a lot. By the grace of god he did make it and has a son of his own now. Your post and your perspective made me really appreciate my life and how blessed I am to have him and his family in my life. Thank you!