Saturday, August 12, 2006

Lock Down Time

I finished my summer term at school today and am feeling absolutely exhausted. It was a long week. Early mornings, long days in the classroom filled with making presentations and listening to others, and then late nights getting ready for the next long day. I think I averaged about 3 hours sleep per night this week.
But I have two more courses completed in this program. Only ten more to go - April 2008 will be here before I know it!
I found a job that I'm interested in applying for this week. At best, it will be a lateral move and in fact if I can't negotiate continued support for my educational program, it will be a decrease ... but it's out of the department I'm currently in, and working with people that I really really like. It's also doing work that I find very interesting, and would put me in touch with a whole new group of senior people. I've decided I'm going to apply for it and even if I don't get it, I suspect I'll get an interview which will be a good experience.
HB and I have been trying to get some time alone all summer, and it ain't happening. We thought we had managed to plan a sneaky camping trip for this week, but his sister arrived from Newfoundland earlier this week and found out. Guess who is now coming with us?
So...we have declared Labour Day weekend a secret lockdown weekend. We haven't done that in several years. Basically a lock down weekend involves major deception of family and friends (sorry...we'll be out of town that weekend), rental of lots of movies, stocking up on good food and treats, shutting off of the phones, closing of the blinds and curtains, and locking down from the outside world. The longest we've ever done it for is two complete days but with this being a long weekend, we're going to aim for the four night stretch. We might even actually leave town for part of it.
Now the challenge will be for both of us to actually protect that weekend. If we give in and give up time on that weekend, we're screwed. It will mean that we will have no time to ourselves until at least November.
When did we become human doings?

No comments: