Thursday, June 29, 2006

All Taught Up

I'm just waiting to start my on-line class here in a few minutes, and thought I'd pop a few thoughts down on the old blog.

Things at work are still sucking. I feel like I'm feeding into being a big part of a dysfunctional family - on the outside we're so corporately happy, high fiving and hugging all around and celebrating each other. The door closes and we kick the snot out of each other.

I have resolved to not be the negative one about this situation. I have resolved to put my head down, nose to the grindstone, and get this project done so I can get back to my regular job. But man it's hard to be PollyAnna Positive when you're being beat up and around all the time.

The latest is that I might have to use vacation time to attend the mandatory 2.5 day sessions at the end of each course in this masters program that I was asked by my employer to take! Because I was asked and encouraged to get it completed as quickly as possible, I've been taken two courses per semester. That calculates out to 112.5 hours of vacation per year that I would be required to take to attend class. I get 150 hours of vacation per year. That leaves about 4 work days that I would get off each year. Wooo hoooo.

So I got all formal on them, and wrote a letter asking for the definition of "reasonable time off to participate in the program", per my return of service agreement. I was just curious since, you know, I've been told I can't take time off to study. Or write a paper. Or apparently now go to the damn mandatory classes.

But that's just me. Curious Georgina.

I'm found a devotional book called "Faith in the Valley" by Iyanla Vanzant. She starts it out by saying that we're called to remember that within every valley lies a lesson for us to learn.

Is it ok to be tired of learning? I'm just asking.

2 comments:

Donna said...

WTF - you have to use vacation time? That's just wrong. I wish you could get out of there! I wish we could both get out of the valley.

Sue said...

There are way too many valleys for me - I'm not convinced that every one has a lesson in it, though.