Sunday, February 12, 2006

Cateracts & Avoidance

I feel like I've been on a downer in my posts of late. I don't know about anyone else, but this blog has saved my butt more times than enough. I come here, get out all the garbage, feel heard (if even only by myself), and then can move on.

The "fight" that HB and I had the other night is probably laughable by most people's standards. We were talking about it yesterday. Our lives together are so good, and we have become so accustomed to having serenity and joy, accompanied by a good dose of massively awesome communication on a daily basis, that even the slightest disagreement feels like a huge fight to us!

That said, it was important that he hear and acknowledge what I was feeling, though. One of the things that I love so much about this man is that once he hears what I'm saying, it's acted upon. I truly am blessed to have a partner like him. Truly. And I do know it, although it may not always reflect in my ranting here. But hey, if I painted him as totally perfect, we'd have to treat this book as a work of fiction. A perfect man? Come on!

We're having a snowstorm here today. Not a bad thing considering that I have, once again, left all of my readings and assignments for both courses until today. So having limited options outside of the house may help. Moving away from this computer may also help.
Now for the downer part of the post:
My beautiful dawg, Barkley (he's the big one on the left), is in a bad way today. His eyes are going. We really noticed it this morning for the first time ... and I can't understand how it came on so quickly. He's been getting the cloudy forewarning sign of cateracts for some time now, but our vet didn't seem to think we needed to worry about it too much. This morning, however, it's as if he's lost his sight. There is a definite film mounting on his left eye. HB took him for a walk and had to bring him back because he kept walking into things. It's Sunday so of course the vet isn't open, but I'm getting on the phone first thing in the morning to take him in to her. He is a clinic favourite and they always respond quickly when we call with an urgent matter related to him.
We have been putting money aside to buy a new bedroom set and redo our master bedroom. I told HB this morning that I'd rather have my dog alive than a bedroom set. One more thing that I love about this man? He totally agreed. So we're putting those funds aside to deal with any necessary surgery costs for our big guy. He's absolutely healthy in every other way, which for a giant breed his age is remarkable. Going without a bedroom set and new curtains is a small price to pay for the love we get in return from this amazing animal.
I know in the context of world problems, and infertility, and all the other sadness that's out there, a dog's health may seem inconsequential. But to me right now, this dawg is my baby. I know that others who firmly place their 'pets' in that category can understand what I'm saying.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you can help Barkley, it must be awful for him to be losing his sight. I don't feel the same way as I don't have pets, but I do see how much comfort my friends get from theirs, so I empathise.

Donna said...

You know I feel the same way about my dogs...you do everything you can, no question. Keep us posted on your beautiful, big boy.

Sandy said...

Thanks Donna. It's so sad to watch him here today. He's lost and confused, and most definitely not seeing. He's walked into walls and doors, and is feeling his way around the house very carefully. I hope that we haven't done damage by waiting until the vet opens tomorrow morning to get him in. I just keep lying on the floor with him, and crying. My poor big guy.

x said...

Are you kidding, your dogs health is NOT inconsequential! I love my dogs and if anything happens to them it will break my heart. Especially while dealing with infertility.
Have you seen my dogs? Ours look alot alike. I have a rottie and a Bernese Mountain dog.
Maybe I missed it but what breed is Barkley?
The thought of Barkely walking into things made me cry. Trust me - I get it!

Sandy said...

Hey Jenny:
Barkley is a Newfoundland - a Landseer newfoundland. They are the only Newf that have the dual colouring. He was rescued from the SPCA by us in December 2000 where he had been since October. Thankfully we have a no kill shelter here! They think that his owner,who is known to show Newfs, was actually the one who turned him in, saying he had been found wandering on the highway. Anyone who knows this dawg knows he would never wander from home. He got out once here, and my neighbour knocked on the door saying "think you should know Barkley has been on the lawn staring at the house for the past 45 minutes or so" hehe. He is totally imperfect by show standards - droopy eyes (which is likely what's going on here), pigeon toed, excessive drooling and too leggy. His colouring is also not "show quality" but he's best in show in this house. He seems to be doing better today ... still obviously having trouble seeing but the pinkness has subsided and he's calmer. Three hours until vet time!