Monday, September 05, 2005

I'm a Masochist

It's 10:30 a.m. here. HB just called and he's on his way home!!! It's a 13 hour drive and they've been going for about 2 hours, so not long now.
Ok be honest - is there anyone else out there watching the inevitable Labour Day Baby Story marathon today? I don't know why I do it every year, but I do. Sit, watch and cry. And wish. What amazes me is how perfect these families always appear to be on this show - doing all this cutesy stuff like stuffing bears, and having family bbqs. Relatives that they haven't seen in years showing up with gifts and speaking so positively about how awesome the couple is as parents. Oh Lord, even the doctor delivering the baby in this one is pregnant!
My life on Baby Story??
They interview my relatives, who admit that they don't really know my husband's name, nor those of my stepchildren. They are not able to speak to the preciousness of this tv pregnancy because they aren't aware of how much we've struggled. The tv crew comes in to interview HB and I, but can't find us because we're hiding in the house. I'm hiding under the covers in our bedroom, afraid to move because we've actually progressed to a stage where there just might actually be a baby at the end of the trip. HB is chasing Frodo and Mini-Me around the house trying to get them to simultaneously clean up their mess and be quiet ~ two things we've never managed to accomplish.
And if I could ever get to the labour and delivery stage, I can't even begin to imagine that I would handle it with the grace and calmness with which these women appear to deliver.
No matter. This is probably the closest I'm going to get to having a baby.

4 comments:

April said...

That's exactly why I can't watch those shows. I used to torment myself with it - but I gave it up. It was just too painful.

Anyway - my show would be much more Jerry Springer than quality "learning" television. Such is life I guess...

Donna said...

I can honestly say I've never watched a single A Baby Story. I just can't do it. Why on earth you would want cameras in the room I have no earthly idea.

Anonymous said...

I can't watch that show. I have in the past and spent the entire day - and usually a few days following it - just absolutely miserable.

I refuse to continue doing that to myself.

Mony said...

A Baby Story.
It's like a traffic accident...you don't want to look but you just can't help yourself. You know you may see something that will leave you traumatised & sick, but still..you look. We've all done it!
I definately think we should submit our own story lines just to add a twist to the "Perfect Family" senario. I love the pitch for your on "Baby Story" Now that would be entertaining!