Sunday, March 04, 2007

I'm ready for 9 to be over

I am a terrible stepmonster. We have Frodo and Mini-Me here every Thursday evening, and then every other week they hang around for the weekends. Mini-Me is going through the terrible period that kids go through at age 9, of turning into the demon seed. I have to stop regularly and remind myself that this behaviour comes with being nine years old. I am so ready for 9 to be done. Frodo is 11 now, and is a nice, reasonable person. I know that this too shall pass as he heads toward the hormone dripping teen years - but for now, I'm hanging onto the adorableness of 11 with him and drawing strength from remembering when I was ready for his 9 to be over too.

And then I realize that while Mini-Me has turned into the demon seed, I have turned into my parents. I have long, drawn out discussions with HB where I insist that I never behaved like this at age nine. And I hear my father's voice in my head, reminding me of how he walked barefoot in the snow to school. Uphill. Both ways. Dragging his six siblings behind him in a sled lined with aluminum foil and heated rocks.

It is in the solitude of Sunday, when Frodo and Mini-Me have left the building, that I feel some gratitude for not having children here full time. I know that stepmonstering is a different ballgame because there's all the other stuff that goes along with it. The "you're not my mother" glares. But I'm not convinced that we wouldn't be going through this very same stuff if I was their mother and they were here with us full time.

Which makes me realize that I am indeed too old and cranky to be anyone's mother. I turned 44 two weeks ago.

I have an appointment on Tuesday to discuss tubaligation. I'm seeking some counsel on it from a trusted source before I move to speaking to my doctor about it. It feels like the biggest and most final move I've ever considered making. For me, it's huge.

6 comments:

Cricket said...

Gosh, email me about the trials of 9. Mine is 9.5 and this year has been a virtual dream. You've been here before, though, so I am very curious what is probably coming down the pike.

Tubes tied. Deep breath. I am now 44.5 and finally coming to terms with the finality. Congrats to you for making the decision.

Peg said...

Oh, I remember both of my step kids being nine--ugh. It truly is an age where they are posessed by...by...oh, I don't know what but UGH!!

Best,
Peg
Peggy, as she is
Stepmom Blogging

Michelle said...

Is tubaligation the same as a hysterectomy? If so, I too am planning on one in the next three or four months. Here is a great site I found with wonderful resources and support for women going through this:
http://www.hystersisters.com

I work with kids, and I know exactly what you mean about nine. Ugh!

Donna said...

This is a huge decision. If you feel this is the best thing for you, then it is.

I also feel like I am too self-centered to be anyone's mother. I recently passed on an opportunity to have our best friends' 5 year-old son for a weekend. He is such a brat right now!

Anonymous said...

There were plenty of days I felt the same way - I have almost no patience for other people's kids these days. It really made me wonder if I should have kids.

But I had made the decision that if I hit 40 and we still didn't have a child, that'd be it and we'd move ahead without. So I totally understand your line of thinking.

Anonymous said...

Sad news -- we miscarried Thursday morning. I was able to save the sac (I never thought I'd have the courage needed to do that ... until I had to) so they can do genetic testing to search for any genetic reasons. We should know the results in a few weeks.

We're heartbroken. But we're going to try again when we can.