Sunday, July 23, 2006

Spinster Sister

My husband has left me.

For the weekend that is .... to accompany 200 youth and the other 49 adult chaperones from our area to Attleboro, MA to a youth conference. He was called in at the last moment to go and said yes, although wasn't quite sure what he was getting himself into. We knew lots of other people going this time and who have gone before, and who have always had great experiences. As a chaperone, you're really going to be there to support the youth, who sometimes have some pretty intense conversion experiences.

Neither HB or I are very charismatic Christians, although we have all the respect in the world for those people who have that experience. We are more people of quiet faith, and in fact, if I look seriously at my attitude around charismatic belief, I would have to admit that I am afraid of it. To be fully open to the gifts of a charism means to be able to fully let go of the control. I have so far to go in that regard! Thus, my walls are up - firmly protecting my humanness and keeping it intact. HB is a great example to me in that regard and I'm looking forward to him coming back home so that I can hear about his experience this weekend. They've been in the midst of thunder, lightening and rain storms during the whole weekend trip!

So I've been all by myself and off work since Thursday morning. I made a list of things I planned to accomplish during the five days I had to myself. The list looked like this:

  • complete the two major papers that are due for class on Monday and which had not yet been started;
  • buy big storage bins and begin to fill with the various items accumulated in the wrecked room downstairs;
  • paint the small bathroom on the main floor;
  • mow the lawn;
  • dismantle the bed in the spare room, throw out the mattress and convert the room into the office I have been wanting for years now.

You get the picture.

Here's what the list of what actually got done looks like:
  • play many levels of Cactus Bruce and the Corporate Monkeys;
  • spend three hours hanging out in a coffee shop and gabbing with a girlfriend that I never get to spend time with anymore;
  • go to the spa, get a french manicure and a makeup consultation;
  • spend $250 on three teensy weensy things of makeup and two brushes with which to apply said makeup;
  • read blogs.

Who knew that people other than infertiles blogged? Why didn't someone tell me sooner? There is life beyond infertility? I'm gobsmacked!!! Good life! Funny life! Sad life. Single life. Married life. Sarcastic life.

But there is life.

Check out two of my new reads:

Dustin - I found his blog by way of Grins (a must read in her own right) and have been following his daily excursions of moving, dating, living with cats and struggling with re-establishing after divorce.

Boomama - a Christian mom living life in the real world - be prepared to shed some tears at her most recent posts. It's a real testimony to love and friendship.

So here I sit now, 3:15 on Sunday afternoon with the prospect of two unwritten papers stretching ahead of me. And yet I'm blogging. And looking for new blogs to read! So how about adding to my distraction today? If you're reading, leave a comment with links to some of your favourite, non-fertility related blogs. Come on. Do it for me. I'm home alone! (wow...that line used to work in the aol chat rooms...hehe)

3 comments:

Donna said...

I just did a post about some new blogs I'm reading, and they're all non-IF-related! Yes, who knew there were bloggers of other colours out there.

Anonymous said...

You're too funny my love. I make lists like that all the time, and like you my list of actual accomplished rarely looks like what I had ambitiously intended. In fact, I need to read a few more blogs before bed and maybe sneak in another game of WaterBugs.

x said...

I read the first line and my heart dropped - you bugger!

Hmmmm, most of what I read is infertile bloggers but here are a few that I like:
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
I wish this lady was my mom.
http://dampdog.blogspot.com/
fellow big dawg lover and home renovations master
and of course
http://www.dooce.com/


Wow, I don't read many non IF blogs, I need to get out more!