Friday, March 03, 2006

Sadness abounds

There's been a number of sad situations touch our lives of late. First, a friend disappeared over a month ago now. This is someone that HB knew through music - this guy is an awesome drummer. No word on what's happened to him.
Then just over a week ago, a young woman who was involved with paddling at the same club to which we belong disappeared while paddling in Germany. She was an accomplished paddler, and the whole situation remains completely unexplained. We will participate in a benefit for her family tomorrow evening where HB's band will play. It's a weird thing - benefits. Usually put together for a sad reason, you encourage people to come sing, dance, drink and spend money. It's like having fun because someone's hurting. Weird. But there we'll be.
And in the midst of all the sadness, I'm struck by just how very blessed I am.
We had a rare evening together where we could just get caught up before Frodo and Mini-Me arrived for the evening. They bounded in, fresh from an outdoor hockey game, asking for blankets, pillows and hot chocolate. We obliged, and soon we were all cuddled up watching tv.
As my three guys snore gently in the next room, I send up a prayer of thanks for my blessings. I also send prayers of strength to two other families who are not feeling so blessed this evening.

2 comments:

Donna said...

How incredibly sad, both stories. I think it is harder to accept a missing person than it is to have a final answer on what happened or where they are. My thoughts are with you. And yes, we are incredibly blessed, and thanks for another reminder.

Anonymous said...

Terrible news. I hope there is a happy resolution to those stories soon.