Saturday, December 22, 2007

Merrying up a bit...

Ok...less humbuggy today. Frodo and Mini-Me arrived last night. Frodo is wired for sound and that sound is LOUD. Everything is on hi-volume with him. We had a bit of a set-to earlier today, but I have to keep reminding myself that he is almost 13 and therefore cannot help being annoying.

Mini-Me continues to be the apple of my eye. He is turning into the coolest of cool kids! Smart as all get out. Not that he doesn't get annoying at times as well, but because he is so much like HB, we can get it out in the open and be done with it. He wears everything on his sleeve - just like his dad. The other one is too much like his mother and let's face it, HB turned to drugs to cope with her behaviour!

We headed out in separate vehicles to finish up our Christmas stuff today. HB had the kids and I was on my own, mostly because I haven't had a minute to do anything for HB! Funny enough, we ended up at the same mall several hours later and so joined up for lunch. We took the kids into the arcade and let them bat off some steam there, which was fun. Then they came home to play pond hockey and I continued on to finish everything else on my list. Tonight we head out to a party - where kids are welcome! A rare treat since we usually have to turn down invitations on the weekends that they are here with us.

I was watching a story on the news last night that the Salvation Army in our area is down in their campaign by almost $50,000 this year. I stood and watched the kettle for a while at the mall today, and it's true - so many of us out there whizzing by with our dust collecting stocking stuffers in hand, and not stopping to put anything in to help others. For every one person that stopped, I bet there were thirty that didn't. So HB and I made a decision to not buy something we were going to buy today, and put the money in the kettle instead. It feels like the right decision. We have so much, and truly want for nothing. Sure we have money woes, but most of it is because of choices we make.

So yeah...less humbuggy tonight. Keep the reason for the season burning in your heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet little feel-good post. You've helped me get back into the jolly of it all. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Polka Dot said...

I'm glad things have improved! And that you've blogged again hah

The company I work for chooses an organization each year to make donations to. Each dept makes gift baskets to either raffle or auction off, with all of the money collected going to that ... thing.

This year, we were able to raise just over 17 grand - yes, $17,000 - that will be going to Second Harvest for their school food program. That means we can provide backpack lunches for 7 schools for a full school year. And this was all through our own employees and businesses that agreed to match up to $2500 collected during our Christmas party alone (we collected over $3600 on that night). It's one of the things I love about the company I work for.

Tiff said...

Happy Holidays!
Glad you got to make it to a party!
Hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!