Sunday, January 22, 2006

Heart and Soul

Thanks for all the confirmation to my last post. I managed to survive this last period - both the period of time and the period itself. Actually I did more than just survive. I actually accomplished some stuff.

First, I had dinner with a classmate whom I had not seen for 22 years. How is it possible that I have college classmates from 22 years ago? I'm far too young for that! Actually we do laugh about it as I was the pup of the class. I turned 20 that year, and almost had a meltdown because I no longer had "teen" in my age.

This guy is amazing. He and his partner were the first gay men in their province to legally adopt a child. I read about the strength of the couples who are choosing adoption all the time, but hadn't completely thought through what the ramifications for a family such as his would be in adoption. And they didn't make it easy - they have created a bi-racial, same sex parent family! I left that dinner feeling in awe of what my former classmate is accomplishing with his life. He is a trailblazer, and his children are lucky to have him as their dad.
Secondly, I have now successfully completed my second lessons in the master's program. I've accomplished all the readings and managed to get all my assignments in on time. I've had a few flutters of confidence. I had to have HB sit and read my first assignment before I hit send. He's so amazingly supportive. Made no matter to him that he had no clue about the subject matter and I restricted his commenting to my grasp of the subject matter.
I spent yesterday morning with Frodo and Mini-Me while HB was at a meeting. These Saturday mornings are turning into our time together, and we're getting to redefine our relationship in a majorly cool way. Frodo had a hockey game so I got to spend some time with their mother as well ... not my favourite thing but it actually turned out alright. I stroked her motherhood ego for a bit, but couldn't help but do a teensy bit of internal gloating when Mini-Me stayed seated beside me instead of her for the whole game.
Last night I reconnected with some girlfriends for dinner. There was a time when we would see each other on almost a daily basis but have been totally neglectful of those friendships in the last year or so. We corrected that last night. We rented hotel rooms, went to dinner theatre together and then went back to the hotel for drinks and chats. Long overdue.
I'm taking care of my heart and my soul this week. It feels great. And I may actually have a life that doesn't necessarily rely on being a biological mother. Who would have thought it?
Tomorrow is election day here in Canada. I'm terrified that we are going to swing to the right tomorrow and lose all the hard won battles about freedoms that have been won in this country. I have to cast my vote very first thing in the morning before I hit the road for the rest of the week again. There's too much at stake tomorrow. Way too much. So if you're Canadian, get out and exercise your right tomorrow as well.
Oh...and send some good thoughts to Julianna this week. She is mustering the courage of a lion on Monday and she needs the lionesses gathered round her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet are you Sandy!

Damn, you have been so busy. Isn't it wonderful to meet up with old friends.

I think of you every day. I hope you are well.

All my love,

Tiff said...

I am glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself this week...the dinner and whatnot with friends sound ideal! Keep it up, girlie!

Donna said...

I'm still in the process of finding out my life didn't stop dead when I stopped trying to have a baby. I still can't use the word "step-mother", but in reality, I guess that's what I am now. Who'd a thunk it?

Lut C. said...

Reconnecting with old friends is fun.

It's good to hear you're enjoying yourself.

x said...

I am glad to hear that you are finding a life past infertility, you deserve to be happy. Old friends are the best!
I voted yesturday and was almost in tears last night. I still cannot understand how there is enough money to give parents $1200 per child per year for daycare but there is no money to fund ART. I have to pay $10,000 for a chance to become a mom while other people collect my tax dollars because they are a mom?
Sorry, that doesn't do much for your positive outlook.